Friday, June 18, 2010

pppendages viii-xiv five skips p-s

Agreements we make support basic humanity and therefore define the fundamental substructure of fair play. These commandments or agreements cast spells of good will. Buddhist teachings give direct agreements. Take the example of the 5 wonderful precepts that Thich Nhat Hanh translates for us and I paraphrase:

I. Be mindful of life
II. Be mindful of property
III. Be mindful of relationships
IV. Be mindful of speech
V. Be mindful of consumption (including all media)

These precepts sum up the Ten Commandments with a slightly different emphasis. If we cast our spell in a manner consistent with these beliefs, then we remain clear about our intent. We can then step out of the box, while honoring our intent to heal our community and thereby the social fabric of the world and have fun with our own creativity.

[agreements begat good begat community]


Casting the Spell#2: Meditation as Spell

I offer a walking meditation. Slowly repeat each step on a 20-40 minute walk over a period of months. Sometimes I forget to do the meditation. Sometimes I realize that the step has changed based on an insight along the path of life. While walking allow transformation even of the meditation itself.

1. Creativity flows through my hands.
2. I honor the creative energy that created me.
3. We are all one.
4. I wish for:
5. I deserve my wish and more.
6. I listen with an open heart: what I wish is already so.
7. I meditate on the sound of creation.
8. I detach from the outcome.
9. I am generous with what I receive.

[walking begat meditation]

[1/ Carry something around and give it special meaning (mindful possession.) 2/ Write a word that reflects an intention and sew it to the inside of a sleeve (basic mindfulness.) 3/ Decide not to complain about pain or discomfort for a day (mindful speech.) 4/ Smile at strangers for a consistent period each day for a week.(mindful community.) 5/ Pick up a piece of trash and dispose of it properly and repeat each time, “with this small act I heal the world.” (mindful consumption.)]

Consider a spell that attends to all living organisms? Write down the Ten Commandments, iamyourgd, no other, no image, observe the sab, honor thyfandm, no kil, no stel, no covt, no lie. Play with them a little.

In my creative walking meditation, the 2nd statement to 'honor the creative energy that created me' honors the ancestors. It represents a consistent precept of most belief systems. The past gazes upon us, and it reflects onto the present in many forms. In the 3rd 'we are all one,' I found an antidote for coveting. The 9th, practicing generosity serves another important approach to not covet resources.

Which spells attend to others? In the first and 4th wishing holds intent mindfully. In the 6th open-hearted, already having everything, we reinforce mindfulness of the present moment in our environment . In the 7th,mediating on the sound of creation, the spell addresses an inner receptive state. These spells deepen present experience by opening our ears to what we sense. The spell alters perception since we spend so much time filtering out sound. In the 8th statement, 'detaching from outcome' refocuses our attention.Everything exists in this present moment.]

[mindfulness begat walking begat meditation]

The nine Enneagram truths can serve as another start for a walking meditation.
1. We are all part of one who;e and alright as we are.
2. Everyone’s needs are equally and fully met.
3. Everything works and gets done naturally, according to universal laws.
4. We hold deep and complete connection to all others and all things.
5. An ample supply exists of knowledge and the energy we need.
6. We all began with faith in ourselves, in others and in the universe.
7. A full spectrum of possibilities can be experienced freely and can be sustained.
8. Everyone begins innocent and without guile. Everyone senses truth.
9. Everyone belongs equally in a state of unconditional love and union.

[All begat everyone]

No comments: