Friday, January 29, 2010

five pieces, and what they reveal: another one


Five pieces
Level 5 Pieces Repetition
re
pepet it
itition
s

let’s begin again;
in the process of repeatedly trying to capture the idea,
a few unexpected discoveries occur.

false starts of this section have more to do with a playful approach to repetition.
transformation signals play during repetition.
Mirroring transforms. So do subtractions and multiples. Transformations help us notice subtle changes.
The multiples have playful slight variations. So now we can begin a second beginning again.

When we make up something, we repeat an idea. The repetition in some basic sense reinforces itself. We could start with repeating ideas, words, or behaviors. The ideas could allude to these behaviors, while the words could describe these behaviors. Think about language and making things, Think about performance. Think about observing how something occurred.

Let me do something again. Let me rewrite this. Doing that creates repetition. Doing something again to make it more comfortable likely leads to an experience of mastery. Repetition mirrors something, doing something that you saw done. And I realize that in the doing, we always alter the process in some sense.

What about copying? Copying leads to the notion of transferring something. Something transferred requires recognition of the source or the trail that the something passes along. Entertain whence it comes.

Repetition Exercise #1 Mapping

Let’s map how we know something,
whom we had to know to know that next thing. Where we were. What else happened then.
Take an idea or fact and consider its source. Break it apart into components of knowledge. Pretend like you have a map in front of you and mark in details with reference to time and place. Nest other details in open spaces. Connect the ideas with line, dashs, dots. Block off some areas.
and annotate the source of these bits.
See how far back a line of an idea traces to some point in the past. It can fold back on itself.


As an example, I learned French in High School from Mrs. A whom I recently saw at a 30-year Reunion.
The word Souvenir entered my vocabulary.
I had to take French first in 7th grade where I remember my mother correcting my pronunciation.
I had trouble distinguishing between the “ou” and the “u” sounds.
I remember the word souvenir having a charm based on the word's exotic sound and length.
I almost remember the first time I wrote it.
I could say the word by six or seven before I could read or spell it.
Shall I write this story on a souvenir of a place like Niagara Falls?

That place also would have entered my early consciousness, though I only saw it in my early 20’s, well after the place name became fully grounded in my vocabulary.

Set up a memory trail around the repetition of a word or an idea or an object. Write it onto an appropriate or inappropriate surface.

Could the very language of the repetition chapter literally repeat itself at some point? That would annoy the proofreader in each of us. I remember rereading a line of a book several times until it dawned on me that I had entered a repetitive loop. I heard that biblical verses follow a structure based on repetition. I never checked, but learning uses repetition. Repetition until mastery precedes the sudden shift to another level of knowing. I think that shift represents play and the repetitions provide the preamble.

No comments: