Wednesday, January 13, 2010

seconds: note ten




What is it about my spoken voice that gets left out of my written word?
How come I can charm and convince and even lead with my spoken word, lines that simply flow out of my mouth from my mind; but I can’t accomplish these feats with the written word?
Sometimes I like the sound of my written word, but I can’t figure out the discrepancy. I am equally surprised when my spoken words produce laughter. I am delighted but unaware of the source of humor.

I was asked to make an announcement at a gathering of artists and I was struck that the people who were speaking in front of the group used what I would call a timid voice and far too many words to convey the point. I didn’t have a timid voice; I spoke succinctly with authority. Not because I felt like an authority, but so people could hear over the hum of creative conversing. I felt this as a form of translation, as though the timid were speaking a foreign language. I began, “Let me translate that for you.” The room pealed with laughter. Was it the unexpected frame and the charm in my stance? Add this discrepancy to my wobble collection.

No comments: