Friday, January 22, 2010

iv/ second pocket


Nesting in my pocket

Some activities nest within others. The wonderful luxury of play reveals how with inner encouragement, one activity flows into and initiates another. Some activities beach themselves and simply end, leaving us open to choose the next action. Or we stop one activity and leave it and go on to another. In this manner the second activity nests in the first. The game of house cleaning performed this way connects unrelated activities. Although chaos can tip the balance away from productivity, there are some enchanting aspects. Generally time loses linearity. Sometimes a lot more gets done in a short amount of time. Sometimes a difficult or noisome task abruptly reaches completion. Frequently a missing component of some project unexpectedly appears. I like to think of this as the return of the missing sock. I have literally chuckled when some missing hardware appears in an unexpected location and fits the need to complete a task that I have repeatedly postponed. Today I am getting rid of all sorts of recyclable paper from drawers: many years of paper. I have found a few keepsakes. I am ready to tackle the next desk. Did, though didn't find any treasures.

I found an old lock mechanism again in a drawer. It was in the house when I moved in eight years ago. I like this object. I don't know where it came from. I didn't notice that it had one bolt that released the handle until two days ago. It feels hand fabricated. Yesterday I mounted it on the slider bathroom door. I drilled a single hole and in half an hour had the handle in place with the lock mechanism displayed on the door exterior. Hanging that door took two years. Michael did it while I was away. He said it would be simple, if i brought him a 36inch track kit. Tiling the bathroom took several years. Dina and her father did that and put in a few irregular creative squares with my encouragement. I really like the tile details and the brass handle. And I like a new idea for display nooks. There's a bit of sawdust to clean up on the next cleaning round.

What I would invite you (dear reader) to do at this point is to take on a postponed task and see if it can be shaped playfully, using intuition, timing and lightness. What happens?

No comments: